Monday, February 23, 2009

sean penn

Oscars backstage: Kate Winslet hugs, Sean Penn on Mickey Rourke, more!
While the Academy Awards ceremony was full of musical numbers, visual innovations, and new ways of presenting old categories, the backstage press room was the regular mix of foreign tongues, tears, awkward moments and long-winded behind-the-scenes winners. Here are the highlights.
Most Poised: Heath Ledger's FamilyHeath Ledger's father, Kim Ledger, mother, Sally Bell, and sister, Kate Ledger, were the picture of grace and calm backstage after accepting his award for Best Supporting Actor in The Dark Knight. When asked what she meant when she said onstage that she and her brother "had even talked about being here on this very day," Kate Ledger took to the mic and admitted, "Firstly, I'm extremely nervous." She went onto explain: "When [Heath] came home for Christmas a year ago, he had been sending me shots and bits and pieces from the film. No one had really seen [the completed film], but...I said to him, 'I have a feeling this is it for you. You're going to get a nomination for this, for the Academy.' He just looked at me and smiled. So he knew."
In looking back at Heath's childhood, Kim Ledger admitted that his daughter Kate "was the actor originally, but Heath was forever the clown." He also said that the Oscar statuette would be kept in a trust for his daughter Matilda until she turns 18. "Just to look at Matilda, she's totally like her daddy," remarked Sally Bell with a soft smile. "She has the same mannerisms. I really feel he's in her."
Best Trouble With Translation: Penelope CruzAbout half of Best Supporting Actress winner Penelope Cruz's answers were in Spanish, but she was happy to translate what she'd said in her mother tongue in the Kodak Theater when she won her award for Vicky Cristina Barcelona. "I said that I want to dedicate it to all the actors of my country," she told the press room, "and that I want to dedicate it to all the people that are now watching there at home and that our feeling that this also belongs to them." Cruz became so effusive when talking about Sophia Loren, her costar in the upcoming musical Nine, that she got a little tongue-tied. "She's become like my second mom," said Cruz. "She's a woman with a gold of heart. Wait, what did I say? A woman with a heart of gold!"

No comments:

Post a Comment