Friday, April 24, 2009

foppish

I have done very little this vacation, aside from watching an ungodly number of Buffy/Angel episodes, and writing and ungodly number of (short-ish) chapters for the New!Snape!fic. I've already told this to Echo and Stella, but this is in no way taking over the Life's Work- instead, it's a simple, straightforward, short vacation from it. Also, it's very different.

Instead of a ship with an OC, it's a father/daughter sort of thing, which is cute. (In addition to that, it's a bit AU, with young!Snape apparently being friends with a Hufflepuff, as well as not living at Spinner's End, and being only a bit nicer.)

I had faced the wrath of the Dark Lord, the jealousy of Bellatrix Lestrange, the ferocity of Fenrir Greyback… But those things were nothing compared to the mortification I suffered at the hands of a particular pureblood whom I could only describe as ‘foppish’. Also, ‘spastic’ might have been fitting.

Seven hours. Seven hours. I swore to myself that I would somehow escape by nine, but instead, he kept me there until nearly two in the morning! Oh, Merlin, and I was so close to escaping. Apparently he had invited near every person in the Wizarding World with blood pure enough, and after a formal gathering that I was not wholly and wretchedly opposed too… Well, he sent them home at about ten-ish, and I tried to leave with them… But lo-and-behold, they were only warm-up.
He…
Well, he “busted out the good stuff,” if I may quote, and once he was sure that his wife had gone to bed- about midnight- he opened the doors to… To… Apparently he hired a troupe called the ‘Wicked Witches,’ who… For Merlin’s sake, of all the things he could have done, he had to hire skantily-clad, dancing ladies!

Needless to say, I ran for it, and spent that particular portion of the evening reading by the dim light of one of the many linen closets lining the servant’s quarters. I did not consider myself a coward in the slightest.

To be honest, I was rather surprised that I did not reemerge to find Lucius sitting in a chair, trousers on his head, wand stuffed into one ear like a giant baboon… But apparently Avery and Mulciber had been busy as well, as they too were giggling over some terrible overly-alcoholic beverage or another.

In regards to that, I had had only a glass of wine with the light dinner, and then a scotch later to drown my sorrows in, but I was quite sure that Lucius had downed more alcohol than I did in a month- by eleven o’clock! (And speaking of drowning, I remember one particular point where I wondered if they had taken away the punch yet, and how much of it would have to be left exactly for it to be of an ideal drowning depth.)

It was unfortunate in itself that they were just barely sober enough to prevent me from leaving just yet, but then they put their arms around my shoulders, and laughed obnoxiously, and sang old Wizarding tunes at the top of their lungs and in tones most disagreeable even to dogs…

By the time Yaxley dropped like a rock, I was half-way out the door. And so, I gratefully returned to my dark, quiet, perfectly non-alcoholic and stripper-free home (well, at least it was slightly less alcoholic.) In other news, Mum was badgering Andrew to get in the shower, and without any prompting from me said, "Your hair is greasy! Even Snape would look at your hair and say, 'Eew, take a shower!'" Needless to say, Iaughed hysterically at the thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment